Educational Psychology and Its Benefits
Psychology may naively be defined as the study of behaviors. And the educational psychology is the study of teachers, students, educational curriculums and the teaching methods involved. It not only provides a systematic database of facts but also helps you to develop certain generalized convictions to be applied in the classroom environment. That is why the educational psychology is called an applied psychology.
The main objective of the educational psychology is to help the teachers in teaching the students. However, there are certain benefits that you can get as a teacher:
1. You can develop certain convictions with the help of educational psychology to promote your students' mental growth, improve their learning process and develop their personalities. You can also help them in their social behaviors.
2. You can define and set-up education objectives of your students in terms of their conducts, attitudes and behaviors. When you have a clear picture of your refined goals and objectives, you can develop a befitting curriculum besides improving your teaching methods.
3. The educational psychology is not a one-way traffic. Being a teacher, you can solve your own behavioral problems as well. You can develop a certain level of sympathy and objectivity with the problems of your students to get the best results.
4. You can achieve better understanding of behaviors of your students. You can make them realize importance of social relationships and improve their social confidence, their participation in groups and cooperativeness.
5. You can analyze your collected data and use the generalized convictions in handling certain educational situations such as selection of instruction material, structure of teaching methods and development of desired outcomes. The instruction modules should be developed in a way that the instruction material and the teaching methods should not obstruct the learning process.
6. You can develop a better perspective for judging both the results of your own teachings and the educational practices of your colleagues. The educational psychology provides a background to handle intricacies involved in teaching of children. It helps you to develop a scientific, objective and problem solving mindset towards the learning process.
7. You can analyze behaviors of your students and find solid ways for normal adjustment and personality development. The educational psychology also helps you to set up and define progressive teaching education. You can develop guidance programs and functional formats for organizational and administrative matters.
8. A scientific usage of the educational psychology can also help you to solve certain clinical problems such as reading disability, stammering, chronic offensive attitudes and emotional disturbance. However, it is advisable to consult professional psychiatrist in severe cases.
In brief, the educational psychology offers ways to study behaviors of your students and develop solid convictions to handle educational problems. The studies have proven that proper knowledge of educational psychology can help the teacher to achieve their educational goals and objectives in a smarter way.